While many, if not most, recipes are difficult to alter to a ketogenic version, we have found that concocting (and even finding) a legitimate keto-friendly chili to be especially challenging. More often than not, the protein gets a little out of control in its ratio to fat, and the net carbs are also unusually high in most chili recipes. However, we have created one here that fits into (or very close to) the ideal macronutrient range. This chili is easy enough to prepare for a beginner cook to prepare, and the flavor of the finished product is superb.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeños, diced
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean/20% fat)
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil at medium-high heat. Add the onion and green pepper, and stir for about 3-4 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the ground beef and ground Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Stir continuously until meat is browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together until thoroughly combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper to your taste.
- Top each bowl with half of a chopped avocado and serve.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onion, cilantro, and jalapeños, if desired.
YIELD: 8 Servings
PER SERVING: CALORIES 420 | FAT 34G | CARBOHYDRATES 14G | FIBER 7G | NET CARBOHYDRATES 7G | PROTEIN 17G