Portobello Bacon Burgers
This keto recipe is simply a traditional hamburger using portobello mushrooms as the bun. It makes one serving, but you can multiply the ingredients for however many burgers you wish to prepare. We’ve listed a number of toppings here, but feel free to choose your own.
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 slices bacon
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 slices cheddar cheese (or cheese of your preference)
- 1 slice tomato
- 1/4 cup mixed greens or arugula
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sugar ketchup
- Remove the stem from the portobello mushrooms and scrape out the gills with a spoon. Put them in a bowl or shallow dish and add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and half of the salt and pepper; marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet at medium-low heat until crispy, flipping over a couple of times to evenly cook each side. Set aside for later use as a topping.
- Turn the grill on medium-high heat (about 200-300 degrees). In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and the rest of the salt and pepper. Form into a patty, ideally not quite as wide as the portobello “buns.”
- Put the portobello mushrooms and the burger on the grill (you may need to do this separately if you are preparing multiple servings). Cook the portobello mushrooms for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are soft and heated through. The burger will take 5-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Put the cheese on the burger for the last minute of cooking to melt.
- Assemble your burger with the bacon and the rest of the toppings between the portobello mushrooms.
YIELD: 1 Serving
PER SERVING: CALORIES 1121 | FAT 101G | CARBOHYDRATES 7G | FIBER 1G | NET CARBOHYDRATES 6G | PROTEIN 46G